Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Mercury Grand Marquis: Good morning. My 1987 2-door Mercury

Customer Question

Good morning. My 1987 2-door Mercury Grand Marquis is running great; it has a little under 64,000 original miles on it. I bought if from the original owner 5 months ago. My question has to do with the AC. It blows nice and cold for, say, 2 minutes, and then it changes to vent and warm to hot from outside comes through. And then it goes back to blowing cold again. Yesterday I noticed that after blowing cold for a minute or so, it started to blow warm through the defroster vents. Then back to cold again. But it never stays blowing cold for more than a minute or so, then it goes through these weird changes, Could it be the AC fan clutch that needs replacing and/or the sensor?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Don Knight replied 1 year ago.
I would start by hooking up a set of gages to see just what the system is doing.If the pressure gets to high the a/c will cut off,on the same note if the pressure goes to low it will also shut off the compressor.I don't think that the fan clutch is the problem but you really need to see the pressures before you can see just what to look at.If you can get a set of gages and let me know what the readings are I can assist you further.