Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Mercury Marauder: I have a 2003 Marauder qith only 20,000 miles.

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Marauder qith only 20,000 miles. Recently, when I go to start it, if it doesnt start at first try and I let off the key, the fuel pump does not continue to operate. The Ford dealer is telling me I need a new fule pump for $976 installed but yet if I disconnect the battery for 15 minutes then try again, the car seems to start. I cant be convinced its the pump but feel like its something electrical possibly related to the alarm. Does the fuel pump become disabled if the car doesnt start right away or aits for long periods. I have a new battery at the advice of a Ford tech that said his wifes Explorer sometimes has an "internal backfire" in the engine and wont start when the battery becomes weak. I also read that sometimes switching keys from the black to the grey then back again seems to clear up starting problems. If you have any avice before I throw away $1000 on a service writers recommendation, please enlighten me. Once the car starts it runs like a bat out of hell but the trick is to not let off the key while it cranks until it starts otherwise the fuel pump stops working.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
You do not need a fuel pump, and service writers are not techs.Can you do some electrical testing and bypassing. We need to see why the fuel pump relay is not staying engaged with the key on, assuming you have verified there is no fuel pressure to blame here. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris