Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Mercury Grand Marquis: I have a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis V8. The steering doesn't return to center on its own after turning a corner. It has to be forced back. It also doesn't steer very easily. This all started very suddenly and didn't come on gradually. I had a mechanic do several things. He replaced the power steering pump. He also replaced the steering box. He also checked all the fuses. He has also greased all the zerks available. He also changed the serpentine belt. I took the car into the mechanic's garage when the steering was jerky. After he replaced the steering box and power steering pump, the jerkiness was gone, but now it steers very hard when I'm taking corners and doesn't return to center after the corner. Help.
Category: Mercury
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
You need to have the upper and lower control arm ball joints checked, then the inner and outer tie rod end joints. If they are fine then an alignment is needed to address this. I would assume an alignment was done after the new rack and pinion but I felt I still needed to mention if it was not done. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mechanic said he thought the same thing that he needed to change the joints, upper and lower. I am not a mechanic so I didn't catch if he said exactly the same joints as you said. But he said the expense is the labor. He said 8 hours. Is that about right? I have spent so much on the car already, I can't quit now. Thanks.
If you can find out which joints he plans to replace, I can get you a parts and labor quote.