EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master
Experience:  ASE, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel, Kia Professional Elite
34559540

I have a 1999 Mercury marquise with a V8, auto trans, vin#

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Mercury marquise with a V8, auto trans, vin# ***** its holding a code for a misfire in cylinder 8. I thought it was the coil over the plug on number 8 as it had been on two previous incidents.. when I pulled the coil n boot I
found oil down in the spark plug hole. I then checked a couple more on the same side with the same results. the oil is not low nor contaminated. the coolant water is now low and has been in the past.. which resulted in a overheating episode in Jan 2015. do
u have any recommendations for what to do next?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. For oil in the spark plug hole you should be inspecting the valve cover gasket on the top edge near the intake. A leaking valve cover gasket will get hole into the spark plug holes. That is the most common reason to see oil there.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure if you change your own oil. An oil spill on the engine from filling will run down the valve cover on top and drain into the spark plug holes. Please respond if you have more questions or info to add. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the car has terrible misses n barely runs. it still holds a code for a misfire in cylinder 8?
one of buddies says its the intake manifold gasket?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can ubgive me steps for checking intake manifold?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or could it be a head gasket?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
That is possible as well. To check if the intake gasket is leaking you can start the car and let it idle. Use brake cleaner and spray the bottom of the intake where it meets the cylinder head. If you notice a change in the vehicles rpms then the gasket is leaking. As it should not be sucking in outside fuel or air. A head gasket can cause a misfire on a cylinder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also oil was found in multiple holes if not all holes. sorry if I didn't get that across on first question.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Yes I was under that impression.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so r u still leaning to it being the valve cover gasket? should I do a compressing test??do u have any suggestions on getting the oil out of thdddsssm
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I do not see a reason for a compression test at this time. But oil in the spark plug holes is generally caused by valve cover gaskets.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
To get oil out of the spark plug holes you should used compressed air to blow it out.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for viewing my response. Let me know if you have more questions and please rate the service provided.