Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Mercury Mountaineer Premier: 2005 mercury mountaineer will

Customer Question

2005 mercury mountaineer will not turn over unless, I first turn the key into the accessories position-one click, then flip on the headlights switch into the on position.(which then and only then will the accessories(dashboard lights, radio lights, etc) come on). Then I can turn it all the way over, but only with the assistance of a jump or battery pack connected to the battery, only then it will then start!???!? What the heck? I replaced the ignition switch. No change. Its like the accessories position in the ignition is now being commanded by the headlight switch. But it's still not getting the command to ingage or start the vehicle when turning the key all the way....The starters good. Alternator good. All presets and time on radio stays set. So the batteries good. It does have a factory remote start system in which I feel may be a culprit? Never, have I heard of such a problem.
Category: Mercury
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At this point we have, replaced the key fob battery as well. The fob deprograms itself as soon as I hit the lock button or turn the parking lights off. We also found that if you now we can actually start the car now without jumping it if, we press the programming /override button under the dash, then turn on the parking lights, then turn the key all the way over. And you have to turn off the parking lights to shut the car off. Ugh Crazy, posessed vehicle.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
My suggestion is to remove the remote start system and fix all the wire splicing then report back on the results. I can not match these symptoms and the way your addressing it to any sort of diag from Ford. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know, right?? This is a bizarre issue. I have to almost laugh. I never in all my years heard of having to turn on the parking lights to start a vehicle. I dont even want to go into how we even discovered that...and purely by accident. Ugh!! We are now disconnecting the remote starter now. But, will everything still start and run as normal until we can get it in to be rewired by a professional.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok...so we unplugged the remote starter and the vehicle will not start. We have to plug it back in because we have to use the vehicle today and cant get to a mechanic. I thought we could bypass this whole remote starter? If the remote starter is bad, it has an 04 date sticker on it, can we just eliminate/bypass the remote starter all together? Obviously the 3 wire harnesses have to be "rejoined" or reconnected with their matching harness clips, but where are these? Or where do the wires that come off the remote start go to now? They cant just hang. Besides the vehicle wont start without the remote start being plugged in.
I would need to know what brand remote start is installed and go to there website to find a wire diagram to see where all the wires go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I told you in the beginning....it's a factory installed remote. Ford installed this at factory. Came with vehicle. But anyways, I was told that the remote starter can not cause issues with the headlight switch. That if turning on the parking lights making all the accessories come on is the only way to start the vehicle, must be an ignition switch or harness problem. In which all the major automobile manufacturers seem to be having issues with lately including ford. There's a back flow or cycle of power back to the light switch due to a faulty pin. We had to replace the ignition harness. This did the trick. We needed urgent info. We ended up taking it in spending alot more than hoped for. But its done. I wish we could of gotten an answer from you but just couldnt wait. I will rate you. But, I truely dont expect a 30 dollar charge. Agreed?