A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

Mercury Cougar: Steve, Replaced the Fuel Pump on

Customer Question

Hi Steve,
Replaced the Fuel Pump on a 2001 Cougar about 10 days ago. Had a no start again 4 days later, after driving several times. Having a hard time believing the new pump went out. How would I do a full check of the Control Module? Not sure where it is located?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
Usually when we replace fuel pumps, we also replace the fuel pump relay in the engine bay fuse box. But before you replace any more parts, go to the fuel pump inertia switch and check for power through the switch and the electrical connector when it will not start. If you have power through the inertia switch, then it is possible either the fuel pump driver module or the fuel pump went out. But if you do not have power at the switch, then look at the fuel pump relay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Steve, It is starting again without me doing or changing anything. There was definitely no pressure at the fuel rail when it was not starting earlier. Intermittent issue makes me think either the relay or the driver module. Pulled the fuse also. Visual check is good. Not really wanting to drive it very far until I get this one figured out.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will have to check the inertia switch when it doesn't start.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Please keep me informed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello A. Penland, If the car returns to the no start state, how do I accomplish a full check on the Fuel Pump Driver Module? We had 12V between pins 2 and 3 of the female connector at the Fuel Pump prior to replacing it.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I have ben really busy at work with all the new recalls. A lot of late nights.
To test the FPDM is to take it out of the circuit. You can do this by unplugging the FPDM and at the connector, harness side, jump pins #9 and #10, the GREEN/ORANGE striped wire and the WHITE/BLACK striped wire and then pins #3 and #2, the BROWN/YELLOW striped wire and the BLACK wire. Then see if the vehicle starts. This test takes the FPDM out of the circuit and applies full power and ground to the fuel pump. Do this test at the FPDM connector and leave the fuel pump plugged in.
If the vehicle starts, replace the FPDM.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it. Easy enough. Thank you.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello A. Penland, Back to the no start situation on the cougar. No Fuel Pressure at the Fuel Rail. 12 V in and out of the Inertia switch. Bypassed the Driver Module tonight as well. Still a no start. Cleaned Pins and Connector. There was some powdery corrosion in the connector and on pins. Placed the Driver Module back in the system. Still a no start. Will verify correct pins were jumped again tomorrow. Was getting dark out. Once verified, I should probable verify a good ground at Pin 1 at the Fuel Pump and 12 V at Pin 3 of same. Pin 2 looks like it grounds the pump housing to me? If these are good, then the new Fuel Pump is bad?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hold on, we need to make sure whether it is no fuel or no spark to the engine. Disconnect the fuel line to the fuel injectors and turn the on and see if you get a strong fuel supply to the engine. Then we need to check for spark to the engine. I need to know if you have a 2.0L or the 2.5L.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, Already checked that. Good spark. Just rechecked. No fuel pressure at fuel rail. I check it by depressing the valve stem on the fuel rail. Had pressure previously when it was starting. I understand though, you do need all of the information. This is a 2.5L.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
This is sounding liked fuel pump. If you got 12votls to the pump and good p should be putting out fuel pressure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was what I was thinking from the beginning. Was not sure because I had just replaced the pump. I just verified the 12V between pins 1 and 3 on the FP connector. Pin 3 being the 12V signal and Pin 1 being the signal ground. Could not check the output of the connector. Inside the tank. All pins look good. Tank is full. Do I need to siphon some fuel out? Was only 1/2 full previously when the first pump was replaced.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
You will need to drain some of the fuel out.Just to let you know, I went through 6 fuel pumps on a 2008 f250 before I got one that put out the proper pressure before I got good one. And these were factory Ford replacement parts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ugh, I bought a kit last time. I think I am going with the entire unit this time.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
I would recommend a complete assembly
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you need any more assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for helping me verify other itemswere not the issue. Picked up a GenTap to siphon fuel out of the full tank before replacing the Fuel Pump Assembly. Back on the road.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the update. Glad your back on the road. Your welcome.