George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 15+ years
13574682

I drive a 2008 grand marquis. Last time it was in the

Customer Question

I drive a 2008 grand marquis. Last time it was in the dealers for a lube oil filter (every 5000 miles) the warning consdole was set wrong so that at 1000 miles I got a "Change Engine Oil soon" and now at 1200 miles I get "Chang Engine Oil NOW". How can
I correct this using the select, setup, etc. buttons on the dash?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, Use the procedure below to reset the oil life to 100% Click here Let me know if that works for you Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once I get it at 100% , do I hit any other buttons to lock in the 100%?
Will try this afternoon and get back to you if there is a problem.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Just hold the set and it will stay at 100% once you have that it is set until you change the oil again.
Let me know what happens by posting back on this thread, I do have Sunday dinner with Mom from 3 - 7 (she is 97) so I will be on and offline.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean by hold the set?
I hit setup until I get engine oil level change %, then use select to get 100%. If I hit select again, I get 90%. There is no set button only setup, select, info and reset.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, that should have been hold the select. Just set it to 100% and you will have the full range. Let me know how i can help Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not work.Pressed setup to engine oil level change
Pressed and held select on 100% until message went back to basic odometer reading.
Shut off engine, restarted car, still get Oil Change Required message!
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
once you have the life selected did you press the reset button for 2 seconds?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you never mentioned that. I will try again and hold the reset button for at least 2 sec.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
ok, try that and see
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pressed setup to change engine oil level
Pressed select till 100%
Held down reset button until screen kicked back to odometer.
Restarted car - still get oil change required!
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, let start from the beginning, Using the setup button scroll to the system check thenPress select to get to the oil life settingPress and hold the reset for 2 seconds. Let me know if that works Thanks
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
You must press "Setup", then "Select". If you repeatedly press "Select", one of the selections is about the remaining oil life. Wrong place. Press "Select" until you get to "Press Select to Begin System Check". One of the indications you will get is Oil Life. It will say "Press Reset if New Oil". This is where you press Reset. But you have to be quick, because the system will cycle on to something else. You may have to do the System Check three or four times before you catch the right page. Then a reset should solve the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does not work!
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry then those are the factory procedures, I will OPT OUT of your question and maybe one of the other techs will have a suggestion for you. Sorry I could not help