Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Mercury Grand Marquis GS: Battery was completely dead. I changed

Customer Question

Battery was completely dead. I changed the battery in my 2001 grand marquis. Car started no problem. Then noticed fire coming from engine near master cyclinder and then under driver side. I first used fire extinguisher but didn't have enough and had to spray out with water. Thought it was wires that burned up. Only thing that appears to have been burned was the parking break line portion in the wheel arc. All wires appear in tact. Is there a ground fault that might have gone thru the parking brake line? What could have caused this?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Its hard to say without seeing the damage in person. I suspect a wire short possibly associated with the starter wiring, or a possibly fuel leak. A ground issue that was arcing on the parking brake cable would just be sparks. A fire needs some sort of fuel to burn like fuel or oil. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris