Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Mercury: I bought a 99 cougar that is scary to drive at speed.

Customer Question

I bought a 99 cougar that is scary to drive at speed. The rear end seems to swim or over react to turns and the more sudden the movement, the worse it is. I'm thinking struts?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I do need an expert opinion. I'm hoping that you have experience with this vehicle. I ordered rear struts from a local store which arrived yesterday. I need to take the car to a family member in a few days and I want to be sure it is safe and if worn out struts would cause this problem. I don't want to put them in if this wouldn't be the cause. To add a little, it almost feels like the rear wheels steer. I know they don't, but the rear seems to want to swing out in the opposite direction of a sharp turn or swerve which exaggerates the direction of the turn. Kind of like the rear end wants to slide out.
Bounce the rear of the vehicle and see if it continues to bounce excessive after you stop making it bounce. If not then I do not believe this to be the struts more so the stabilizer bar or toe links faulty. Get the vehicle off the ground and see if you can move the tire in any direction. It should be firm with no movement.
-
-
-
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I had tested all around bouncing the vehicle, standard stuff, and no excessive or continued bouncing. Not dead, like a Corvette would be, but more like what I would expect from this type of vehicle. I'll try the other test you suggested. I have been under the car several times and didn't notice anything that appeared out of sorts, but I wasn't specifically looking at the suspension either. Sounds like there is no inherent quick in the handling characteristics of Cougars. I'll let you now if I find anything.
Super
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It appears that it was the front struts after all. So I replaced the first one, passenger side. When I put the vehicle on the ground there was a pop sound. I lifted the car back up and the wheel wobbled from side to side. It seems like the half shaft has pulled out, but when I try to turn the wheel (as if it were rolling) it is still engaged and I can't turn it. I removed the lower A arm as it looks bad and the bushings are shot so I purchased replacements. I am unable to get the new A arm in and I'm concerned about the half shaft. I can pull the hub assembly out a couple of inches, but with the boot in place I can't see anything. I really don't consider my question ever answered, so maybe you can help me with this instead? I have a book on the car, so I don't need diagrams.
Where exactly is it, that your stuck on getting the lower control arm back in?