Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Mercury Mountineer: I am haveing a problem with a pop in my

Customer Question

I am haveing a problem with a pop in my left front tire when I turn right at 5mph. or less own a left up grade .
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi,my name is ***** ***** it only pops when turning left, then this is usually caused by a bad outer cv joint on the right side, is itn a constant popping when turning left, or just single pop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim , my 4x4 we are talking about makes one single pop when turning right, it does not pop when turning left, and it never pop own level highway. It pops once when backing from or turning right at very low speed. So I take it that I have a bad outer cv joint own the left side. Thank you so much
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
i AM SORRY, i MISREAD YOUR QUESTION, IF IT POPS ON RIGHT TURNS, THEN IT WOULD BE THE LEFT OUTER JOINT,TIM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim , I think my mechanic is trying to take me for a ride. He told me that the pop is because of a bad transfer unit. We unhooked the half shaft from the differential ,and behold the one time pop is still their when I make a slow right turn into my driveway. With the drive shaft removed from the front differential what other reason would the transfer case cause the pop and not the outer cv joint or a bad axle.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Yu are correct, if the front drive shaft is removed and it still pops, then this takes the transfer case out f the equation, this just leaves the cv joint or a problem in the differential, which is very unlikely if it does it when turning only,Tim