HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years experience Ford Senior Master Technician/Diesel certified ASE Master Technician
285738

How do you time a 2002 mercury mountaineer AWD 4.0 v6 sohc

Customer Question

How do you time a 2002 mercury mountaineer AWD 4.0 v6 sohc ENGINE? It has no timing marks at all! Please help. Aaron(###) ###-####
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using the site. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
.
There is a tool kit for that, they might have them for loan at O'Reilly's auto parts. Here is a link to that.
.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/OTC0/6488.oap?pt=N0717
….
I have the instructions in a PDF format, at the following link. You can copy and paste it into a new browser and rate the answer on this page.
.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a104hmccq84j5iy/Timing%20Drive%20Components.pdf?dl=0
.
Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.
.
Thanks, ***** ***** come again, anytime
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This timing kit is all hunky dory, but I know how to maneuver the cams and sprockets without this tool kit. I need to know how to set the cam lobes to the crank and tdc in order to allow my motor to fire properly. What is the positioning of the sprockets supposed to be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Without timing marks, this is very difficult. When i have the piston in tdc or piston 1 at its highest point clockwise, just before downstroke, where should my valve and cam lobes be positioned?
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
That is all the information that I have on it, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.
.
*******YOU CAN ALWAYS GET A REFUND WITHOUT RATING THE ANSWER AS BAD OR THE SERVICE AS POOR ********
.
.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
I dont see why you couldnt just rent the tool and do it the correct way, If you mistime this engine you will bend valves, it is an interference engine and thats a lot of work involved since you have to have the engine removed in order to replace the passenger side timing chain and cassette. If you are looking to guess, it would not be worth hoping it is close. Get the right tools and fix it right the first time