Randy
Randy, Auto Specialist
Experience:  25 Years Experience Automotive Technology.
62741268

Mercury Sable: . I have a 2000 Mercury Sable station wagon.

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2000 Mercury Sable station wagon. We just put a new alternator in and car is smoking and a yellow explanation point light is blinking on my dash. I was running my air conditioning. Any ideas?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** certified automotive professional with over 25 years experience. I will be glad to assist you with this.
This sounds like the alternator may have had the wrong pulley on it or the belt was not correctly installed.
What is the part number for the alternator that you installed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and I forgot to say that the air conditioner Isn't blowing cool anymore and the transmission isn't going into gear right. This all started after the alternator was put on. I dont know the part number. Mydad put it on. I got it from O'Riley's in Florence S.C
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
okay, this sounds like the wiring was not connected properly, or the alternator was the wrong unit, it also could be that the belt routing was installed incorrectly. The transmission requires proper voltage to work normally, if there is a battery or alternator problem it will not work correctly. Since the ac is not working I am thinking that there is a problem with the belt slipping. That would also explain the smoke.