A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

Mercury Montego MX: had Ac system replaced at 180K miles.

Customer Question

had Ac system replaced at 180K miles. Three months later would not cool at low speeds. Mechanic replaced compressor. Three months later same thing, mechanic said referigerant control valve was bad, put in new valve and compressor (free of charge thankfully). Three weeks later, same thing - will not cool at low speeds but does fine at highway speeds. you have any answers?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
Since the AC does not cool at idle or low speeds, by does at highway speeds, it sounds like the cooling fans are not working properly. The cooling fans pull air through the AC condenser mounted in front of the radiator to help cool the Freon charge in the system. AT highway speeds, air is forced through the condenser. But at low speeds or idle, you need the fans to pull air through the condenser. Make sure the cooling fans, your 2005 Montego has 2, a low speed and high speed, are both running when the AC is turned on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it took me so long to reply. The heat in Georgia has been brutal, I had a hard time looking at it after work. I looked today and could only see a single fan under the shroud behind (engine side) the radiator. I turned the car on a idle and it ran at what I would consider a high speed. where is the second fan located. Is it between the radiator and the condenser?BTW - I am pleased with the service and will provide a rating when we finish up.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
No problem. I live in central Florida. I completely understand.You should have 2 cooling fans. Look at the picture below.