sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Mercury Sable: my ignition switch turns but will not start

Customer Question

my ignition switch turns but will not start car what is wrong
Category: Mercury
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It sounds as if you may have a battery, starter or cable/connection issue. The last part of your post says that it doesn't turn enough to start the car, so I'm assuming the starter engages but it cranks slowly. If the engine cranks slowly then the issue is the starter or a poor power or ground to it, assuming the engine is mechanically ok.
If the engine cranks slowly and the battery connections are clean and tight then the first thing I would recommend is having the battery load tested. Most big chain parts stores such as Autozone and even Wal-Mart will load test batteries for free.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has nothing to do with either of your options it is the stater switch or in the steering column
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A screw driver will start to engine but will not turn it off. when you try to use the key to start the car there is no resistance in the ignition lock cylinder. I already tried to change the cylinder and that was not it.
Your first post said that the ignition switch was not the problem and the engine cranked but not enough to start. I can only base my posts on the information presented to me.
If the key turns with no resistance and the lock cylinder has been replaced then the problem has to be the ignition switch.