Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

2000 Mercury Sable

Customer Question

Hello Don; first up, about two weeks ago I ran a question about a 2000 Mercury Sable that would not idle below 1100 RPM. Please look that over and get back to me.

Here it is in its entirety:

Mercury Sable: 2000 Mercury Sable wagon, Duratec DOHC engine,

Status:Finished
Category:MercuryandCar
Value:$18

Asked by you on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 11:26 AM EST

2000 Mercury Sable wagon, Duratec DOHC engine, 116,000 miles.
Runs well BUT won't idle below 1100 RPM. Rev it up, it will stay at around 2000 RPM, then lazily drop back. Driving along at 30 mph is like having a cruise control .
I have done the following:

Cleaned throttle body

Inspected all vacuum hoses and connection, all look good.

Replaced IAC

Replaced TPS

Sprayed WD-40 around intake runners to check for leaks, found none.

Connected a vacuum gauge to heater control port above master cylinder, I get a steady 19" of Hg.

It's not throwing any codes, MIL lamp is out.

I need a definitive answer, not some fly-by-night cowboy taking a guess. I've worked on cars since Richard Nixon was president, I might be hard to fool.

Thanks

Make: Mercury
Model: Sable
Year: 2000
Will you attempt to fix yourself?: Yes
What have you tried so far?: Please see description.

Edit Price

Picture

You have received an Answer!

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 11:22 PM EST

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.

You have covered a lot of what steps are needed. Can you unplug the IAC and see if the idle drops, if so then its being commanded to idle high by the computer. If there is no effect then can you clean the throttle body and clean the MAF sensor. Let me know those results.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

You replied

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 12:25 AM EST

Chris;
I have already cleaned the throttle body, will clean MAF soon. No change when connecting or disconnecting IAC motor, ditto TPS.

Stay tuned;

Picture

You have received an Answer!

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 12:49 AM EST

Thanks Pete. That confirms the IAC is not to blame. Which leaves the high idle being caused by the air fuel ratio.

You replied

Thursday, May 14, 2015 4:27 PM EST

OK Moose, you're the expert but you really didn't answer the question. As I stated initially, I need a definitive answer. I was hoping for more. Also, I checked out the PCV hose. It's the newer reinforced style. A 330 mile trip netted me 22.6 mpg. I checked the MAFS, it was clean, but sprayed a little Brakleen on it anyway just in case. Let's put our thinking caps on further. I'm here to give you any required information.

Thanks;

Picture

Your Expert needs more information

Thursday, May 14, 2015 4:57 PM EST

Sorry you feel I am a poor tech. I see no need to continue, being you decided to rate me that way rather than just reply. Would you like to get back on the list to wait yet again for someone else.

You replied

Thursday, May 14, 2015 10:05 PM EST

Moose;

I did not say you were a poor tech. I did think your answer was incomplete and inconsistent with a tech of your purported experience.

Here is what I will do; when I do track down this issue, I will share my findings and repair methods on how to solve it. Stay tuned.

Thanks for trying.

Peace;

Pete Mayotte

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/mercury/938qi-mercury-sable-2000-mercury-sable-wagon-duratec-dohc-engine.html#ixzz3bxxE31T2

Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Being you already rated someone poor and just showed everyone through your copy and paste, this has scared other techs away from helping.

Unplug the IAC while running at operating temp. The idle should drop to 500 rpms and remain steady. If its high or low, adjust the throttle stop screw to 500 rpms. Then reconnect everything. Next disconnect both battery cables and hold them together for one minute then reconnect and test.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Being you already rated someone poor and just showed everyone through your copy and paste, this has scared other techs away from helping. I'm a fairly advanced shadetree and don't feel like any games. Also I feel as if I should be able to politely speak my mind.

For starters, disconnecting the IAC made no difference in idle speed. With the original IAC I get get an ocassional MIL claiming "IAC OVERSPEED"

I have been living with the high idle and automatic cruise control, SINCE YESTERDAY.

Scenario: I work all of 7 miles from work, 30 mph speed limit, some stops for school buses and road work. I take the highway home one exit, one mile just to open it up a little. Ran fine Monday night.

Yesterday morning, needed to move car. Started hard, sputtery sounding exhaust, I went from FAST IDLE to No IDLE at all.

Am pulling two codes, 1131 and 1151, Heated O2 sensors. I've had O2 sensors go bad, but never this quickly.

I thought it might be rain related after two days of heavy rain. It's dry today, no change. Once up to 3000 RPM, runs good, below that, rough.

Have you seen anything like this before?

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/mercury/94j96-2000-mercury-sable.html#ixzz3c1FlrXpa

You are allowed to speak your mind. I was just informing you why you had waited already 8 hours and all others had passed. Since the IAC had no effect and the prior discussion ruled out the MAF sensor. That only leaves air getting into the engine that is not coming through the air filter and MAF sensor. Being you have 2 lean codes that means there is a vacuum leak to blame. Idle the engine at operating temp and spray short bursts of starting fluid or brake cleaner around all things on and attached to the intake as well as the gaskets and hoses. When you hit a leak, the rpms will increase.