A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

Mercury Grand Marquis LS: 96 grand marquis clacking noise,constant,

Customer Question

96 grand marquis clacking noise,constant, new timing components and still clacking, customer said, fine when parked the day before and next morning the noise was there? sounds lower right front, cant change the sound by removing the plug wires individually?somebody has been here and I want to know what happened and not spend any more money!!
Category: Mercury
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
Did you do the timing components or did somebody else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have been in the auto repair service for 30 years, we made a diagnois based on exporation and found no problems with the timing chain but installed all new timing components and still the clacking! what do you think it is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, exploration
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way you can record this on a video and post it on here. I would actually like to hear it myself.
Is it louder on one side or the other or under the valve covers or near the oil pan?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
near the oil pan, front right, suspect oil pump, really expected this to be an inherent problem, almost positive not a rod, cant effect the sound by removing the spark plugs while running, symptom should be recognizable to somebody, gotta be a common problem! any good guesses?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Not really a common problem on this engine. The only common problem we've seen are the cam followers going bad, falling out or the tappets collapsing.
Make sure the crankshaft end play is not too big. That will wear the oil pump out.
Specs are Crankshaft Free End Play 0.130-0.301 mm .