Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Mercury Mountaineer AWD: My 2010 Mountaineer recently started

Customer Question

My 2010 Mountaineer recently started alerting me with "Service RSC Now". Seems to occur when driving on bumpy roads. I've been to QuickLane and Lincoln dealer and they cannot diagnose the problem. They state they can't reproduce it and act like the alert codes aren't even stored in the system. They suggested replacing the ABS module for > $1000, which I'm skeptical about, since they keep telling me they can't find anything wrong with the car. Is there something that you consistently find to be the problem when "Service RSC Now" alerts? Is there a better place to take the vehicle for repair than a Lincoln dealer who used to sell these Mercury vehicles? Thanks.
Category: Mercury
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mountaineer has about 73,000 miles. It does not seem to be having any braking problems thus far, just the very urgent alert. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in the Detroit Metro area.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
"
I've been to QuickLane and Lincoln dealer and they cannot diagnose the problem. They state they can't reproduce it and act like the alert codes aren't even stored in the system. They suggested replacing the ABS module for > $1000, which I'm skeptical about, since they keep telling me they can't find anything wrong with the car."
Good thinking, do not repair or replace something you can not verify is even to blame. There has to be a code stored, it takes 40 starts without an issue to auto erase a code.
Any Ford dealer can diagnose this. A mountaineer is just a nicer Ford explorer, more leather and chrome. I would duplicate the warning the day of and or just prior to taking it in though.
Open the file below. Being its occurring on bumpy roads then I suspect its a connector to any of the parts below loose and making a poor connection.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/10RSC.png
The only way this would not store a code is if your going fast enough to actually bounce the tires off the ground causing momentary speed sensor speed reading reduction.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris