Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Mercury Mariner: I have a 2011 Mercury mariner. My sunroof

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Mercury mariner. My sunroof was working alright until this afternoon and now it won't close. When I press the button it moved a few inches and then makes a noise like the motor is dying and stops moving all together. Is there a way to manually close the moonroof without damaging it?
Category: Mercury
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not think a faulty fuse is the problem bc it will move slightly forward and backward on its own when I push the automatic button. When I push the button backwards it moves a few inches and then I hear an awful crunching noise. However it sounds like it is coming from the front of the sunroof rather then the back. Also it seems to be off track because as it moves the right side comes slightly farther out the left. If there is a way to manually open close the sunroof would doing so cause more damage given all of its current problems?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
Your correct its not a fuse. Its going to be the motor, cables, or track to blame. To manually move the glass, you remove the headliner and use a allen wrench in the motor gear to manually spin the motor, however I feel its not going to move based on the crunching and crooked glass issue you mentioned. I have sent you an email request for the diagrams and manuals you asked for. I can tell you how to do all the repair steps assuming your repairing this yourself.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris