Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs
7276279

Mercury Sable: I am trying to remove the drivers side lower

Customer Question

I am trying to remove the drivers side lower control arm from a 2001 mercury sable; how do I get the front bolt out? There is an obstruction above it that I can't clear.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.
Which bolt are you referring to and have you released the lower ball joint?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am referring to the front vertical bolt. It comes out from the top of the sub-frame, however, it is obstructed from above.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have released the lower ball joint
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Take a look at the factory steps and see if this help you access the bolts, You should be able to access the top bolts with a wrench and a socket on the nut.
Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.
Have a look and post back if you need more help and or have more questions.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Lower%20control%20Arm.%20May%2027.pdf
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Please consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 5AM eastern time and work all day . A rating is required. Your rating me , and what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor do I have control over the fees or the time it takes to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all ,you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short
Thank you, Ron
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ron,
My problem is in step number six from the factory steps; the bolt will not clear the components above it to come out of the sub-frame: I can't pull the bolt out of the chassis hole.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
In most cases that means it been installed backwards, it the head of the bolt facing the right direction?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The head of the bolt is on top of the sub-frames and the nut is under the sub-frame. It looks like the illistration in the shop manual.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Well one other option you may have is to loosen the 4 sub frame bolts so it lowers a bit and see it you can then get the clearance you need.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could my problem be that I am supporting the car with a jack stand under the sub-frame?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Perhaps I need to move my jack stand to a point behind the front wheel well?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
That may work, I have always done them with the car in the air on a rack and have never had a problem getting the bolt out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I'll give that a try, thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Your very welcome and thank you as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ron,
Just to let you know. I moved the jack stands back and I unbolted, what I think is, the engine mount. I then jacked up under the engine and was able to clear the bolt.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Glad you got it resolved and thank you as well.