Amedee
Amedee, Mercury Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Mercury Cougar: I have 99 cougar 2.5 v6 im getting power to

Customer Question

I have 99 cougar 2.5 v6 im getting power to starter and starter tries to turn but it's not turning over. I have already changed the starter once to see if it helps but I get the same thing. I know it's not the anti theft because the light goes off when I turn the key. Ive already checked the fuel pump and I'm getting fuel. Ive already checked all the fuses also.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome!
My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.
Did still need help?
Are you saying that the engine cranks over but does not start or that it does not crank over at all?
Are you looking for some possible causes?
I will be looking forward to your reply.
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine tries to turn over but it is not. I hear clicking like the battery is dead then I hear a gringing sound like the starter is bad. I have swaped the batt and starter out but still the same thing. Its like it wants to turn over but its just not going.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the first thing we need to do is be sure that the engine is not locked up and that the flywheel is not damaged or broke in anyway.
If that checks out good, then we check to be sure the pulleys are not locked up. You can remove the serpentine belt and see if the engine then cranks over. For example, the AC compressor could be locked up preventing the engine from turning over.
If that checks out good, then I suspect low voltage to the starter motor. This is usually caused by a bad connection. This can be on the positive or negative side of the battery. Your next step would be to go down and check the voltage to the starter motor with the key in the crank position to be sure that it is getting full battery voltage.
Also, be sure that the engine and frame grounds are good as well as the battery terminals and connections. Just because they look good does not mean they are making good contact. A voltmeter will help to pinpoint a bad connection.
I am going to send over an offer with my phone number. If you are willing to speak on the phone about this issue, please accept my offer and call me
Customer
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
ITsCustomerfrom just answer.
I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?
Customer
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
I see you have viewed my last post but have not replied back?
Did you get a chance to check these things?
Do you have any further question or can I assist you with anything else?
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm just waiting to get off work to try them
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good!
Thanks for the heads up!