SuperDave
SuperDave, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  over 16 years experience
10552493

Mercury Grand Marquis: we have a 2000 gr marquis and the interior

Customer Question

we have a 2000 gr marquis and the interior lights will not go off the mechanic can't find the problem, any thoughts.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  SuperDave replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer.I will do my best to answer your question.It is very common for the key pad on the driver's door to cause this problem.It gets wet and corrodes internally. If the automatic head lamps are turned to the auto lamp position, the head lamps will also go on and off with the interior lamps. Ford has an internal Special Service Message (not a TSB) for this problem on full size cars from 1996-2000 (through 4/15/00) to replace key pad with an updated level part for this problem. Often when the keypad is the problem, there will be one or more buttons on it that do not light up the key pad when pressed. Try this:
1. Push each button on the key pad on the driver's door, and see if the key pad illumination light comes on. Wait until it goes back off before pushing the next button. If any button fails to light the key pad, replace the key pad.
2. If each button lights the key pad, remove the door trim panel, unplug the keypad, and see if the problem still occurs. If it never occurs with the key pad unplugged, replace the key pad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You I will give this to my husband and the mechanic tomorrow.
Expert:  SuperDave replied 1 year ago.
Thank You.