Eric N
Eric N, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master
Experience:  ASE, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel, Kia Professional Elite
34559540

Mercury Mountaineer Luxury: I have a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer

I have a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer that I am having intermittent no start issues. All dash lights come on, fan works, etc. No click, nothing. Have tried open/close door, in park, in neutral, tried my second key, all to no luck. Have had it towed 2x's and both times (a 10 mile tow) after taking off the flatbed, it starts. Dealer keeps it and trys off and on all day and it always starts. Had new dash cluster installed two weeks ago, and was fine until two days ago and the same problem again. Dealer says the security systems is fine, no codes at all. They have checked all of the connections to the starter, all are fine. In the dash cluster in red I get the battery/wrench/gas pump and then below it says low fuel indicator, or something like that. This is after a few seconds of trying the key to start. Any ideas???
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Eric N replied 11 months ago.

Eric :

Hi. It sounds like the starter may be intermitantly failing. The connections may be good, but the 100% way to test is to use a test light on the starter when the vehicle will not start.

Customer:

It will not fail when it is at the dealer. They cannot get it to no start. During the tow something happens and it starts

Eric :

The tow will not make it start all of a sudden. When it does not start, the starter needs to be checked for power. If the starter is getting power but the engine is not starting then it needs to be replaced.

Eric :

Can you check it yourself with a test light?

Customer:

Yes the tow does make it start. It will not start in my drive, or on the tow bed. We take it off the tow truck at the dealer and it will then start, and it keeps starting at the dealer. They cannot get it to "no start" so the starter is getting power. I am taking it to a Ford Dealer

Eric :

Then maybe you should just have them replace the starter. It would be a very good chance that is the problem. From what you will probably pay to have it diagnosed, and the tow charges you have already incurred, it may be worth having a starter put in.

Customer:

That is a hit or miss thing. I have already spent $850 on a new dash cluster, and a new starter is over $400 and according to the Dealer they are only guessing that it "may" be the starter.

Eric :

That is why it would be best if you can check it when it is not starting for you. Maybe a mechanic can come out to your house and check it while it is failing. Explaining your situation to the dealer may result in them sending someone out to check it. Since you have spent money with them already in trying to get this repaired.

Customer:

They are keeping the vehicle and are going to have one of their lot guys drive it and see if he can get it to fail before they replace the starter. I found a clip on UTUBE where a guys has a 2008 with the exact same problem. I thought you guys might have heard of this. Don't think the Dealer will send anyone out to the house, I am 12+ miles from the dealership, plus I cannot predict when/where it will fail again. After the dash replace, it was good for two weeks with no problems. It is just at random and I travel to rural areas where getting a tow is not easy. Thanks for trying, I thought you might have encountered this problem before.

Eric :

The Mountaineer does not have any known problems like this. And if the security light is not flashing when the vehicle will not start then the security system is working.

Customer:

Everything is working fine, that has been checked

Customer:

Have tried both keys, turning the keys, opening/closing door, in park, in neutral. No click, no anything, until it get moved around (bounced a bit) on the ride to the dealer. Have to go now, thanks for trying

Eric :

Ok. Your welcome.

Experience: ASE, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel, Kia Professional Elite