Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.

Mercury Cougar LS: ivan i have a 2001 merc cougar that willnot

ivan i have a 2001 merc cougar that willnot do anything i think the securty is locked up can u help?
Hello and good afternoon. I will certainly do my best. Is there a lock or yellow or red security light illuminated when you turn the key to start?

Your JA Expert,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the red light blinks when switch is off but when you turn switch on light quits also fuel pump runs as long as switch is on all the time

Ok, I want you to confirm something first. Let's find out the condition of the battery. Voltage and load test capabilities. Let us make sure we are dealing with a healthy strong battery and that it is not playing a role in this. Let me know what the results are and we'll go further if need be.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

battery is new along with charger connected when needed

Do you have a check engine light illuminated when you turn the key on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no in fact i dont see a check engine light at all

How about if you turn the key to start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when held to start oil airbag ck eng and battery lights stay on and fuel pump continues to run

OK, just no starter activation, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, here is our next part, we either have to get to the solenoid wire on the starter or the starter relay to do some testing. Do you have a volt meter or a test light and do you feel you could perform some testing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i have and can but i need to get off this for a while i have others i need tend to real fast

Totally fine, Let me know when you are ready.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ivan if your still out there go ahead and cash in my credit i dont know when ill get back to you thank you untill later ron

Take your time Ron. Let me know when you are ready and we'll continue. Rate me when you feel like it. We'll figure this out.