Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40 Plus years on all makes and models

Mercury Milan: I own a 2007 Mercury Milan, yesterday the battery

I own a 2007 Mercury Milan, yesterday the battery died and we were able to buy a new one and replace it today. However, now when I start my car it shakes and the rpms lower and raise as it sits in idle. Is this a serious problem, what should I do to fix it?

Donald Knight :

good morning.What you have is a computer relearn problem.When you disconnected the battery you removed the KAM (keep alive memory)from the engine computer.You just need to drive the car some to have the addaptives "readjusted" to there original settings.Just drive as you would normally and everything should return to normal after a few miles of driving.

Customer: Oh my! I didn't even know it had that! Thank you so much for your help Donald, I very much appreciate it!