jazzmaster, ASE Certified Technician

Mercury Sable: My 96 Sable is over heating fairly quickly.

My 96 Sable is over heating fairly quickly. The coolant reservoir is full and there are no apparent leaks from the radiator or hoses. Could this be a pump issue or a problem with the thermostat?

hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you..the thermostat,most likely is not the issue here .

these years had issues with cracked heads and or gaskets and a block test should be done ..if it overheats in say 7-10 minutes then moost likely the heads are cracked .

the block test consists of a tube filled with a blue lt yellow if the presense of hydro carbons is present in the cooling system.

a lot of times it may not show white smoke out of the tail pipe .

the tube is placed over the fill resivior a(warmed motor ) and the bulb on it is squeezed to draw in fumes ,if the color turns then the heads need to be takken of and sent to a machine shop for further checking ..

the system (cooling) my also be low and causing the very quick over heating as well but before a block test should be filled up to par ...jazzmaster ...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Say it is a bad head or bad gasket. How much would you estimate the repair cost to be? Thank you for your time.

you could be looking at over $1200 if the heads are cracked ,which most likely there are or need work to them ...jazzmaster