A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

Mercury Grand Marquis: where is the ignition module located

where is the ignition module located on my 2002 mercury grand marquis
Category: Mercury
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

Your 2002 Grand Marquis does not have an ICM (Ignition Control Module) The PCM (Engine Computer) controls all the engine sensors and components. The best thing to do first is to check for any DTCs or codes in the PCM (Engine Computer). Do this first before replacing any parts. ANy auto parts store can do this for you for free.

Get the codes and post them on this page.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are no codes,no check engine lights ive tried that. when it stalls, i give it a jump and it starts right away. seems like when i drive for about 3 miles it does that. can it be the ecm? and why i when to the parts store and asked for such it gave me the part, and i check online for that part its exactly like what i have with the discription of such. the part number from autozone if im not mistaking is P143...
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Can you post a picture of it. I cannot locate part number P143...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i googled im http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=images+of+ignition+module+for+2002+mercury+grand+marquis&qpvt=images+of+ignition+module+for+2002+mercury+grand+marquis&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=55C4629CDFEE125D164FB4BF88B352EA8503D53E&selectedIndex=36
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Your 2002 Grand Marquis does not have that module. Ford phased that module out in 1999.

Your PCM controls the ignition coils. Your engine has eight of them. In 1999, there was two coil packs and Ford still used spark plug wires. Ford no longer uses them with the new coil on plug ignition system.

When the vehicle stalls, we need to see if you are loosing spark or fuel to the engine. ALso see if the check engine light is on when the engine stalls and is the check engine light goes out when you try to start it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the engine light does come on as the battery light and so on, but doesnt stay on, how would i check for wether im loosing spark or wether the fuel pum is bad/fuel pressure. also i do get water leaks when it rains in the passenger side under the dashboard, and how would you explain me jumping the car and it starts right away. im sorry for being alil pain, but this issue is driving me nuts
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Can you better describe "Jumping The Car".

Are you jump starting the vehicle with jumper cables from another vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Ok, that is different. Start the vehicle and check the voltage at the battery. It should be 14.5 volts.

Do this check and let me know what reading you get.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does and sometimes i notice the battery indicator going down and i check the voltage and it reads 13.5 or lil less, also ive checked the alternator it seems ok
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The alternator should put out 14.5 volts with the engine running.

Also have the battery properly load tested and also check the battery cables and clamps on the battery post.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you recommend i change the clamps, and can an alternator fail?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The alternator can fail while the engine is running. The best way to isolate the problem, is to place a meter on the battery and measure the voltage till the engine stalls. See what the voltage is. If it drops to 12 volts or lower, replace the alternator.

But if the voltage stays above 13.5 volts, we need to look somewhere else.

Do this test and see what the voltage is when the engine stalls.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
13.5 volts its an estimate,it could be lower and how do i measure the voltage output from the alternator, sorry all i know is to disconnect the cable from the battery. and in your best opinion you think might be the alternator? or fuel pum?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

I think it could be the alternator, because you state you need to jump start the vehicle.

If you have a digital meter that reads volts, touch the battery post, black on negative and red on positive with the battery connected and see what the voltage is.

graphic

Experience: ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician