Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Mercury Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Mercury Diagnostics
18617752

Mercury Villager Estate: "2002 Mercury Villager" with service

"2002 Mercury Villager" with service engine soon P0305+P0325 Engine Codes. What do these codes mean? I got these codes wi a CarMD 2100 code tester.
Hello and Welcome! My name isXXXXX and I am here to try and assist you with your question.

The P0305 is a fairly straight forward code that is saying there is a cylinder misfire for cylinder #5. There are a few different things that can cause a single cylinder to misfire. This can be a worn spark plug, a bad wire to the plug, a problem with the distributor cap, a faulty of clogged fuel injector, etc. Best bet at this point is to start with the plug, wire and cap. Inspect each for any visual problems, and replace as needed. If these all check ok, then next move onto the Fuel Injector. You can give this a quick pre-test with the use of an Ohms meter. Unplug the electrical connector to the injector and take a reading across the blades on the injector. If the resistance isn't between 10 - 14 Ohms, the injector will need to be replaced. The the injector passes the ohms test, while the engine is running unplug the electrical connector. If the engine does not respond, this is a sign of a clogged injector, and it will need to be replaced/. If all of these test/check ok, you will next need to test for air intake leaks around cylinder #5 and ultimately, a compression test. Cylinder #5 is on the side of the engine, closest to the windshield, and the one all the way to the driver's side.

The P0325 is pointing to a fault with the Knock Sensor. However, this could be a byproduct of the cylinder misfire. So, the misfire should be addressed and cured before condemning the Knock Sensor. If the code for the knock sensor returns after fixing the misfire, it will need to be replaced. This is actually quite a difficult job with the Labor Time Guide calling for a little over 5 hours to replace, so definitely make sure the misfire is cured first.

*** PLEASE REMEMBER TO LEAVE A RATING FOR MY ANSWER! RATING THE ANSWER IS AN IMPORTANT PART OF THE Q&A PROCESS! ***

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm not sure what I should pick as a rating for your answer at this time. When I have had time to follow your repair procedures and if I get a fix for my problem I would give you the highest rating possible. Do I have to answer now?

No. No need to rate at this time.
Hello again! Ron Z here.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~ Do you still need more help?
~ Confused by my info request or answer?
~ Need more time?
~ Confused on how the site works?
~ Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have already rated my answer, then Thank-you! If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you, just bookmark this page so you can access my profile more easily and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Thanks,
-Ron Z
Hello again! Ron Z here.

~ Do you still need more help?
~ Need more time?
~ Confused on how the site works?

Thanks,
-Ron Z