autodoc_2000, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 1999 Ford Senior Master Technician Certification

Mercury mountaineed: I have a customer with a mountaineer 5.0

I have a customer with a mountaineer 5.0 that has a coolant leak from the timing cover. I know all data calls for about 5 hours to r&R the timing cover gasket, but I am just wondering what all this job intails>???

autodoc_2000 :

Are you looking for instructions to remove the cover and put it back on or just some pointers?

autodoc_2000 :
5.0L Engine

NOTE: According to the manufacturer, the engine must be removed in order to service the front cover. However, the front seal can be serviced with the engine in the vehicle. Remove the crankshaft damper, then follow the seal replacement procedure under installation.

1. Remove the engine from the vehicle.

2. Remove the water pump by-pass hose.

3. Remove the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS).

4. Remove the crankshaft pulley and damper.

5. Remove the oil pan.

NOTE: The front cover and the water pump are removed as an assembly.

6. Remove the front cover attaching bolts and remove the cover.

7. Inspect the oil seal. If the seal needs replacing, follow the procedures under installation.

To install:

8. Thoroughly clean all gasket mating surfaces. Use new gaskets and coat them with a sealer/adhesive.

9. Install the front cover/water pump assembly and tighten all of the bolts.

1. If the front seal needs to be replaced, proceed as follows:

1. Using Front Cover Seal Removal Tool T70P-6B070-B, or its equivalent, remove the front seal.

2. Lubricate the engine front cover and oil seal lip inner lip with engine oil.

3. Using Crankshaft Seal Replacer/Cover Aligner T88T-6701-A, or its equivalent, install the new seal into the front cover.

2. Install the oil pan.

3. Install the crankshaft damper and pulley.

Never hammer on the damper. Use an appropriate damper installation tool to press the damper onto the crankshaft snout.

4. Install the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) and the water pump by-pass hose.

5. Install the engine into the vehicle.

6. Run the engine and check for leaks.

There has got to be a way to service the front cover without removing the engine

autodoc_2000 :

The instructions call for removing the oil pan I have done these without removing it, but sometimes once it is apart the oil pan gasket is to bad to be reused. You do need to remove the front two bolts on the oil pan on both sides and all of the cover bolts. A prybar gently prying will remove the cover. Going back together is tricky with the one piece oil pan gasket use silicone on both sides of the gasket and line it up. You need to push downward on the cover in order to get the stay pins lined up but when you push the cover to the engine to over the stay pins the it will push the oil pan gasket inward so make sure it is sticking out a little.

is it possible to R&R the oil pan gasket with the engine in the vehicle???

autodoc_2000 :

You can do this without removing the engine. The reason they want you to remove the engine is because of the oil pan gasket. You can also remove the oil pan gasket without removing the engine, but you need to remove the upper intake plenum in order to lift the engine high enough. Remove the motor mount nuts and lift engine up.

I see, what a pain in the butt!!!! I'll see what I can do. I have the customer comming in tomorrow. All that work for a damn coolant leak.

autodoc_2000 :

They are known to leak. Check the cover also because they have a tendency to pit and a new gasket will not seal it.

ok thank you for your help

autodoc_2000 :

Not a problem. They just don't make them easy to work on anymore do they?

autodoc_2000 :