Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury

Mountaineer: I have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer and the heated

I have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer and the heated seats are not working. The fuse isn't blown, both seats aren't working, and the switches don't light up. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hi, I’m Chris. Welcome and thanks for asking your question!

With the key on, do both heated seat switches show power at the Violet/Orange wire?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will have to check.

Thanks Mike.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Where do I find the violet/orange wire?

There are 2 wires going into the back of both the left and right seat heater switches. One of those wires is Violet / Orange.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Both seats at the heater switch have red, black, blue/brown, & black/red wires. No power on any of them.

The seat heater switch should only have 2 wires, see below. Are you sure you gave me the correct vehicle, 04 Mountaineer?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes thats the correct vehicle. Is the wiring different for powered driver seat vs manual adjust? Mine is the powered seat.

Mike that is the only wiring image for all styles with heated seats. I believe you are on the wrong connector. I need you to now remove the seat side trim, and visually look at the wires going into the switch. It is just a on/off switch and there should only be 2 wires.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The switch is round with low/high heat settings. I have taken a picture of the switch removed from the seat trim. Is there a way to send it to you?

There should be a tool bar on your reply box and a paper clip icon or tree icon to insert pictures.

Also can I get the vin#, I am not even showing a high low switch, just on or off.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, Alot of stuff is not making sense, you gave me the vin# XXXXX a 2007 Mountaineer.

On the 2007 the heat seat switch is on the dash under the climate control.

On the 2004 which you mentioned you have, the seat heater switch is not even in the place you show it at.

I am getting the vibe that this vehicle had heated seats added aftermarket or this is a salvaged vehicle and bits and pieces from various vehicles have been added. Any input on this?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry, it is a 2007. I crossed up vehicle years with another one in the family.

All of the switches and wiring do look to be factory installed. The image was taken just a few minutes before being sent. Is there any other information about the vehicle that would be helpful before we go further?

I put in a request to Ford, for a Bill of materials. When this vin# XXXXX the factory, it did not have heated seats. Did you buy it new and request this? See below.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Bought it used, they were already installed.

Thanks Mike, now we both know the truth, that they are aftermarket.

This makes diagnosing and repairing more difficult since we have no repair guides or wiring diagrams to follow.

So no wires show power at the switch with the key in the run position, correct

If you start the SUV do any wires show power?

If there is no power can you find out which wire color goes under the carpet so maybe we can find where it gets power?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No power in any key position. Whoever installed the system did a really nice job. Knowing the real story and looking at the install, I guess there are a few signs of aftermarket.
I am ready to call it a night. Thanks for the assistance.

Glad I could help up to this point Mike, we can continue at a later time when your ready.