A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician

Mercury Sable: I have a 1999 mercury sable. I replace the brake

I have a 1999 mercury sable. I replace the brake switch that controls the brakes when you step on the brake. The 15 amp fuze works great and I can shift out of park and then shift to drive and back in to park the brake lights work fine. But as soon as I turn the engine on and shift into drive with my foot on the brake the fuze blows. The service engine light is also on. I can not turn the cruise control on when I push the on button on the steering wheel. I also noticed that the fans for the radiator are not working. what do you think needs to be replaced. Thanks Paul

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

On the brake master cylinder under the hood, there is a deactivater switch for the cruise control. These are known to leak brake fluid and cause shorts. Unplug the switch and replace the fuse and see if it still blows.

Shorts that blow fuses need to be located. There is no common cause for blown fuses. I am just trying to help you isolate the problem.

Let me know if the switch stops the fuse from blowing.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi this is Paul I have a 1999 mercury sable. I talked to you yesterday about the fuzz blowing when the engine was running and putting the car into drive. Thanks for telling to unplug the deactivater switch for the cruise control. So far the fuzz did not blow I am going to give it one more day to be sure that the proble is cured. Thanks for your help.

You are very welcome.