Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Mercury Sable: 2001 MERCURY SABLE OIL LIGHT COMES ON SOLID

2001 MERCURY SABLE 3.0 ohv OIL LIGHT COMES ON SOLID AFTER ENGINE RUNS 20 OR 30 3MINS AND START HEARING WHAT SOUND LIKE VALVES TAPPING. Just replace heads and gaskets. Fresh oil change with 10w30, change filter twice. Also replace timing chain before head job.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m Chris. Welcome and thanks for asking your question!

If you raise the rpm does the oil light go off?

Is the coolant temp registering normal?

Have you taken a actual oil pressure reading at the engine?

Have you checked using a scan tool to see what the coolant temp is?

If you run the correct oil this engine calls for, do you still get this same issue?

Were there any oil pressure issues prior to this repair?

Why did you need to replace the heads?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Engine ran hot and shut off, crack coolant tank. Would not start sounded like it had jump time. replace timing chain and crank sensor. It would start after then but was hard to and ran rough. Then discover water in oil, so changed heads and gaskets. Heads came off wreck car. Oil pressure fine before. Light does not come on on a cold start up, it happens after engine heats up. Fans and all are workng correctly and temp hand also. Light does not go off when rpm is raised. haven't check temp with scan tool. Start right up now, oil light comes on when tapping start.

Thanks for the reply Jemayel.

You need to check the engine oil pressure at 2500-3000 RPM using a pressure gauge. Pressure should indicate a reading of 40-60 psi. Also check the engine coolant temp since even slightly high coolant temps can turn on the oil light as well as result in noise. The coolant should be staying below 210. If the oil pressure fails the test then the engine needs to be pulled and the crank bearings inspected for wear. If not worn then replace the oil pump. If the bearings are worn from coolant being i n the oil, then the engine needs to be replaced with a short block.

.

.

Thanks for asking your question. My goal is to help you lower your

repair bill or assist you in completing the repair or at least inform

you of the repair needed prior to getting it fixed.

You are about to see our rating system. You are charged regardless

if you rate or not, so please do not just read the answer and log off.

Rating is required to complete the transaction. No rating means I am

not compensated. I am only paid from your deposit once you rate OK

or GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE.

Please if you need to follow up, only press REPLY TO EXPERT so I

can continue to help you and prevent a negative rating on my record.

You can also reply after rating if needed and so can I if we need to

continue working on the concern. If you want to reply and leave verbal

feedback, it is more than appreciated.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
why wouldn't it throw a check engine light also? how do you check oil psi

There are not trouble codes available in this computer for low oil pressure. The only component which knows the oil pressure is the instrument cluster and it does not tell the computer of low pressure. It only warns the driver.

You need to remove the oil pressure switch and thread in a hose adapter and gauge.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM222397076P

The switch is mounted at the end of the head against the firewall on the drivers side of that head.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've been told if it was a oil pressure issue the light would flicker and not stay solid. I forgot to mention that it does not have a thermostat in it, could that affect it?

Yes, no thermostat will cause an engine to run to hot. Since the oil light can come on with high coolant temps you need to check the coolant temp like I mentioned prior.

The oil light can flash or turn solid, both indicate a concern with oil pressure or high coolant temp.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
last question how can no thermostat make it run hot?

The thermostat stops coolant flow so the coolant in the radiator actually has time to cool off. If the coolant just flows through the radiator fast without stopping it just continues to get hotter and hotter.

Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Mercury