Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis: wouldnt start..starter relay..wont start

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Mercury Grand Marquis that suddenly wouldn't start. I replaced the starter relay (that's what my AAA guy thought it was) and when that didn't work, I replaced the starter and it still won't start. It makes 1 loud click and nothing. Any ideas?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer,
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you with your question.

Can you tell me where the click is coming from?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sounds like it's coming from the starter - definitely from under the hood

Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
The problem you are describing sounds like you eaither have a connection problem or an engine locked up. Let start with making sure both battery cables are clean and tight and you have a good fully charged battery, then take you test light and with a helper holding the key in the start position , see if you have battery voltage at the stater on the large battery cable to it. This sounds more like the connection at the battery or a bad battery.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The battery is only 3 months old and I had it tested at 11 volts (I think) but it was very low on water which is unusual.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
It takes at least 12 volts to turn the starter over because the starter requires 280 amp at minimum in order to spin the engine over. Why don't you remove the battery and try cleaning the cables and having the battery charged and retested.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Let me know how this goes and if you need more help Im here.