Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury

My car over heated and now wont start .

My car over heated and now won't start .
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.

Did it overheat bad or mildly?

Have you checked cylinder compression?

Did it die while driving?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It got pretty almost to the red . I stopped at a gas station . Then drove it one more mile . It started makeing a weird like wizzing noise and as soon as I made it to work it died . Im not very mechanically inclined . But I work with a bunch of mechanics . I have not checked cylinder compression .

If the car was driven long enough while to hot, that will result i n the head gaskets blowing out or the heads warping or major internal damage. This is where the test mentioned helps. If all 6 cylinders are not within 10% of each other and at or above 110 PSI then there is damage. You must have this test done and repair whats occurred then address the cause for overheating which can be a faulty fan or thermostat or water pump. Once running these things can be tested.

Thanks for pressing Accept, Chris

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The next day I tried to start it up and it almost started .

You can keep trying to start the car if you want but if its got low compression, its not going to run.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Also i had a guy tell me my fuel pump was not putting much fuel out . That I needed a new one .

If you have low fuel pressure and the filter is fine your correct you will also need to replace the fuel pump and repair the cause and effects from it overheating.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok Also I have 2005 cadillac escalade , not the long one . But I was wondering if you could send me a diagram and instructions on how to change fuel filter / ?

We must resolve this post first. You must state "I accept the answer" if I have answered all your questions on this vehicle to your satisfaction.