Superbob, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master
Experience:  18 years Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Mazda Senior, Diesel certified, specilize electrical

2006 Mercury Montego: failsafe mode message..engine turned..restarted

On a 2006 Mercury Montego I recently got a failsafe mode message while driving. The engine turned off. I stopped and restarted the car. It happened ten minutes later. I have driven another 100 miles with no reoccurrence. Check engine symbol came up but went away after a week. What is happening
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Superbob replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for your question. When you bring the car to the dealer they will more than likely find that the engine computer (PCM) has stored a diagnostic trouble code relating to the electronic throttle control! It probably has an intermittant fault in the throttle position sensor or the electric motor that opens the throttle plate! The code will need to be recovered from the PCM in order to be able to look up and follow a particulator pinpoint test the is listed in the manual!, there are literally hundreds of codes that could be stored and the actual code is needed to correctly diagnose the exact cause!