A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

1998 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER: MY PASSENGER DOOR..DOOR LOCK..UNLOCK

Customer Question

MY PASSENGER DOOR IS LOCKED OR STUCK CLOSED ON MY 1998 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER. THE DOOR HANDLE WILL NOT WORK AND THE AUTOMATIC DOOR LOCK WILL NOT LOCK OR UNLOCK IT. AUTOMATIC LOCKS WORK ON ALL OTHER DOORS. HOW CAN I GET MY DOOR OPEN TO REPLACE THE LOCK? HELP, I'M STUCK!!! AT LEAST MY PASSENGERS ARE!  I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR OVER AN HOUR NOW......
Category: Mercury
Expert:  A. Penland replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

More than likely your power door lock actuator is frozen and not allowing your door to unlock.

You will have to remove the door panel from inside the vehicle with the door closed. It is a little tough and will take some time, but this is the only way to get to the door latch and the door lock actuator.

Below are the directions for removing the door panel.

CLICK HERE FOR DIRECTIONS

Then you will need to pull the door lock actuator off of the mounting bracket.

CLICK HERE FOR DIRECTIONS

Then you should be able to open the door.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

EVERYTHING THAT WAS ADVISED ABOVE I HAD ALREADY DONE BY THE TIME I RECEIVED AN ANSWER. I HAD THE DOOR PANEL OFF INSIDE THE TRUCK, I HAD FOUND THE ROD THAT I MOVED UP AND DOWN TO DISENGAGE THE LATCH AND OPED THE DOOR TO FINISH REMOVING THE DOOR PANEL. ONCE THAT WAS DONE I COULD VIEW THE INNER WORKINGS OF THE LOCKING MECHANISM AND THE WAY THE DOOR LATCHED SHUT. IT IS NOT THE AUTOMATIC LOCK, BUT THE SPRING THAT HAD POPPED LOOSE FROM THE OUTSIDE DOOR HANDLE TO THE METAL ROD THAT UNLOCKS THE DOOR. ONCE I RECONNECTED THE SPRING TO THE HANDLE AND ROD, MY DOOR NOW OPENS, CLOSES AND LOCKS. IT TOOK 8 HOURS FOR ANY TYPE OF RESPONSE FROM E-ANSWERS.COM, THIS ISN'T ACCEPTABLE TO ME AND I AM AFRAID I WILL HAVE TO CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION. I FOUND MANY OTHER 'INSTANT' HELP TIPS ON LINE ON OTHER SITES. THANK YOU ANYWAY.