George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 15+ years
13574682

98 Sable: its brake lights (again)..fuses..brake pedal..ground wire

My 98 Sable lost its brake lights (again). I checked the two listed fuses (from the internet #5 & #28) and both seemed good. The last it happen some wires above the brake pedal were loose but checking that one was still connected the other (I think it may be the ground wire) was loose. It won't let me out of park! Please help!

Hello I will help you with your question,

Use a paperclip to connect the light green/red wire in the connector to the red/light green wire to see if the brake lights come on. If you have a loose connection at the switch see if you can gently bend the connector with a pin to tighten it.

Let me know what happens so I can help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, are you saying both wires need to be attached in the casing above the brake pedal? Becaus

The paperclip is used to connect the red/light green wire to the light green/red stripe wire in the connector. Disconnect the brake switch from the connector to do this. With the wires connected the brake lights should be on. The paperclip will have battery voltage so don't let it touch any metal or you will blow the fuse.

If this does not light up the lights we go back to the fuse block and check the 15 amp blue Stop light fuse

Let me know what you find

Thanks

I saw your feedback, if you will continue with me and tell me what happened I can help you get to the root of the problem.

Thanks