Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Mercury Mountaineer 4x4: I have the front driveshaft disconnected

Customer Question

I have the front driveshaft disconnected on my 02 mountaineer AWD because the front differential is bad. When I take off it acts like the trany is slipping but had the transmission checked out and it is good. I also just had the transfer case replaced with a used one. Could the problem be a faulty transfer case or will the problem resolve itself when I replace the front differential and put the driveshaft back in.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

do you have the all wheel drive..or does it have a selector switch?

tims auto repair :

is it all wheel deive all the time?

tims auto repair :

are you there?

Customer:

It is awd

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

it must have the front shaft to pull

tims auto repair :

it won move without it

tims auto repair :

you will need to fix the front and install the driveshaft

Customer:

so the transfer case is good?

tims auto repair :

i would think so,,no way to really tell without the front shaft in

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer:

If I put the new front end in, and it still does it then is that the transfer case problem

tims auto repair :

2002 Mercury Truck Mountaineer AWD V8-4.6L SOHC VIN W
Transfer Case Description and Operation, Components: Transfer Case-All-Wheel Drive

65_fm02expmr_30807c-003a.png
Full Size Image

66_fm02expmr_30807c-004a.png
Full Size Image

Transfer Case

98_fm00expmr_30807a-002a.png
Full Size Image

The constantly activated, automatic, all-wheel drive transfer case has no external controls. A two-piece aluminum case houses the assembly. The unit is chain driven. A non-repairable viscous coupling provides torque distribution to the front and rear transfer case outputs. The viscous coupling contains slotted alternating plates through which a high viscosity fluid flows. The resistance of the fluid shear causes the plates to transmit torque at the approximately ratio of 35 percent to the front output and 65 percent to the rear output.

Operation
Torque flows through the input shaft to the front planetary gear assembly outward to the ring gear to the upper output shaft. Torque also flows through the front planetary gear assembly to the overdrive sun gear outward to the upper drive sprocket. The torque flow continues from the upper drive sprocket through the drive chain to the lower drive sprocket to the front output shaft. The viscous coupling provides the connection between the ring gear and the overdrive sun gear.

tims auto repair :

well

tims auto repair :

it could be either the case.or the transmission

tims auto repair :

i wouldnt think it would be this case

Customer:

ok thanks i will replace front end first

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.