Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1997 Mercury Sable: brake lights..lights come..brake pedal

Customer Question

1997 Mercury Sable brake lights come on initially when brales are first pressed, then they go out until brake pedal is pushed all the way in. What needs to be fixed and how?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

this sounds as if the problem is the brake light switch

Customer:

Is this easy to replace?

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

tims auto repair :

give me just a second

tims auto repair :

i will get you some instructions

tims auto repair :

it isnt too bad to replace

tims auto repair :

one second

tims auto repair :

1997 Mercury Sable V6-3.0L VIN U
Brake Light Switch Service and Repair, Procedures

REMOVAL
1. Disconnect the connector from the stoplight switch.

NOTE: Locking tab must be lifted before stoplight switch electrical connector can be removed.

13_fm97sm301_1003-020b.png
Full Size Image

2. Remove hairpin retainer and white nylon washer. Slide stoplight switch and push rod away from pedal. Remove stoplight switch by sliding it down.

NOTE: Since the switch side plate nearest the brake pedal is slotted, it is not necessary to remove the brake master cylinder push rod black bushing or white speed control deactivate switch bracket nearest the pedal arm from the brake pedal pin.

INSTALLATION
1. Position stoplight switch so U-shaped side is nearest pedal and directly over/under pin. The black bushing must be in position in push rod eyelet with washer face on side away from brake pedal arm.

CAUTION: Do not substitute other types of pin retainers. Replace only with production hairpin retainer.

2. Slide stoplight switch up and down, trapping master cylinder push rod and black bushing between switch side plates. Push stoplight switch and push rod assembly firmly toward brake pedal arm. Assemble outside white nylon washer to brake pedal pin. Install hairpin retainer to trap whole assembly.
3. Assemble wire harness connector to stoplight switch.

NOTE: Stoplight switch wire harness must have sufficient length to travel with stoplight switch during full stroke at pedal. If wire length is insufficient, reroute harness or service as required.

4. Check stoplight switch for proper operation. Stoplamps should illuminate with less than 27 N (6 Lbs) applied to brake pedal at pad.

tims auto repair :

thanks for using justanswer

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the brake pedal support bracket in the cab or engine compartment?

it is inside the car,,at the brake pedal

thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Replaced stop light. Nothing changed. Still have the problem.

you replaced the switch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, my son replaced it.
tell me...........will the brake lights stay of if you leave the switch unplugged?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. I assume you meant off.

yess,,sorry for the spelling,,

well,,this problem seems to still be the switch...maybe it is set too close...making the lights stay on....i am sure the problem is at the switch

thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My son says he placed it where he took it off. Is it possible that the switch is bad. Should he have disconnected the battery first?

it sould work if the battery wasnt disconnected

maybe the switch needs to be adjusted some,,,or the braket the switch connects to needs to be bent a little to make it work correctly

thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What do you mean it may need adjustment? Move it up or down? Just how do you adjust it?

So what I am seeing is it was not necessary to disconnect the battery to switch out the stoplight?

Thanks.

the switch,,you are suppose to disconnect the cable to replace it,,but if not,,it is ok...the switch bracket may have gotten bent a little,,if the light stays on..it needs to be closer to the pedal so it will push the swith all the way in with the pedal out,,,,i cant see it,,so,this is what to check and adjust it to do this
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The brake lights do not work at all now, with either stoplight switch. All fuses seem ok. Old switch was bent, so I bent new one. By bending, it seemed to tighted up the switch. Are you saying the brakelights should stay on when stoplight switch is taken off/unplugged?
they sould stay on..with the switch all the way out..or,,if it is plugged to the switch and it not installed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just an update to my question. It may be the stoplight switch. It is more likely the electrical connector to the stoplight switch. In all our handling of the switch, we found one of the wires to the electrical connector completely separate. It was intact when we started. Probably the original problem.

hi

yes,,this may have been the problem all along....if the wires have come out of the plug....

thanks