Amedee
Amedee, Mercury Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2002 Mercury sable: 24 valve..times no fuel pump..replaced due

Customer Question

2002 Mercury sable 3.0 24 valve I got a no crank some times and some times no fuel pump. this car was at another shop and the igntion was replaced due to no crank. It came in with a pats code witch i cleard and it has not come back yet!. When it came it it was fine i left it outside in the cold the first night and it would not crank in the am. dash lights but no crank. after 10 key cycles it sarted and ran fine. Once in the shop i got a crank no start. had spark no fuel. have had a hard time getting much time to test because the condition only last for a short time. I tested the charg system today and i am not really happy with the results 14 v and drped to 12.69 with all the ex runing. Coild this low voltag be a problem with the pats and or pcm. Help me if you can
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

My name is AMEDEE and I can assist you with your question.

Did you check ll of the module for codes?

Was the security light on or flashing when the engine did not start?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No to the security light

I am not sure what check ll of the module is

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Sorry for the delay!

How do you know that there is no fuel pump at times? Have you checked fuel pressure? Have you checked power to the fuel pump?

Can you get it to act up so we can run a few tests?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes and Yes
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
So your saying there is for sure no power going to the fuel pump at times?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its outside this moring and it seams when it outside (in michgan) cold it wont crank the first few key cy. When you turn the key to the run pos the dash lights come on . When you turn it to crank nothing . Most the time it starts and some times it cranks with no start . At that point i did get to check for spark and fuel. It had spark but no fuel. I was not able to determan power at the fuel pump. It seamed that i did have power no pump but i was 100% sure. Its so intermit that i was not sure of my findings. The only thing i am sure of is low voltage.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No on the voltage. It seamed i was getting volta but my test was not 100% conclusive. At one point i belived it need a pump. I have not been able to get the thing to do the crank no start. I will keep trying today. I just tried to start it an it did not crank. I held the key in the start pos for 20 sec and it started. I am losing intrest in this thing quickly

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
If the engine is not cranking over (starter not engaging), then we are looking in the wrong place. There is no need to check for spark and fuel. We need to check the battery, connections and for power to the starter.

If the engine is cranking over and not starting, then we need to check for spark and fuel. You could have a bad crankshaft position sensor or a bad fuel pump.