kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

99 mercury cougar: intermittent no start, I believe it is coming

I have a 99 mercury cougar with intermittent no start, I believe it is coming from the P.A.T.S system. Voltage to fuel pump is 7 volts, no signal to starter. Replaced steering column with one from junk yard that has a key and replaced fuel pump in an effort to solve problem, still getting nothing. How can I diagnose or reset the P.A.T.S

kalamykid :

If the steering column was replaced, as well as the key, then you have to have ford reprogram the system to recognize your new key.

Customer:

It isn't possible to reset with a process similar to gms?

kalamykid :

No. The pcm is set up differantly then the gm pcm whenit comes to the anti theft system.

Customer:

Would that account for the low voltage at the fuel pump? assuming 7 volts is low

kalamykid :

Yes the pcm willnot fully activate the fuel pump and will shut the voltage off to the starter relay.

kalamykid :

You willhave to have two NEW keys made and programed to get the car to run again

kalamykid :

The new keys will be programed the same as your old keys.

kalamykid :

But they will have to be cut to match the new key that came with the column

Customer:

The old steering column has a key broken in it, the new column only has one key. will the need a key from the old column?

kalamykid :

Basicly you have to get two brand new uncut keys, have ford cut them to match the new ignition switch, and then have the new keys electronicly progrmaed to match the car.

kalamykid :

All you need is the transponder part, so if the metal part is broken off in the switch, just takethe big fat black piece with you and have then use it to program the new keys.

Customer:

all of the connections fit perfectly, but i noticed the manual said that this type of system was an option. any chance the column won't be compatable? it came out of the same year

kalamykid :

With the new ignition switch in the new column, the original tumbler key code is differant and the new key will not work in the doors. you can have the dealer cut you a new basic key to unlock the doors with if you need as well. THey can do this by the vin most often.

kalamykid :

Does the key with the new column have a fat black end on it like you r old one?

Customer:

it didn't really seem fat to me

kalamykid :

The new key or the old one?

Customer:

the new one, i havent seen the old one my son left it somewhere

Customer:

the ignition on the new column did have the black box on the side like the old one, i assume that's the reciever

kalamykid :

If the new key is thiner then the old one, then the column will be differant and will not work in this car.

kalamykid :

Unless you have the pcm reprogramed to eliminate the pats system.

Customer:

would it be simpler to just have that done to begin with

kalamykid :

Yes

Customer:

and cheaper probobally?

kalamykid :

But most often the dealer may give you a hard time doing this for you

kalamykid :

It will be cheaper just the cost of the keys

Customer:

i'll still need new keys?

kalamykid :

No,

kalamykid :

The cost to have the pcm reprogrmaed to leave the pats system inactive will cost the same as haveing the pats system programed fopr new keys. You just do not have to buy new keys.

Customer:

okay so compare keys, if they are similar i can a) have new keys made to match old or b) have pcm reprogrammed to eleminate the pats system

Customer:

if they are different then just have pcm reprogrammed

Customer:

what if he doesn't locate the old key

kalamykid :

if the new column has a pats system, then you can have new keys programed, and if the column is NOT a pats column, then have the pcm reprogramed to leave the pats system inactive.

kalamykid :

The dealer will be able to program a key with out the old key, it is easier to do with one of the old keys though.

Customer:

How can I determine if it is a pats column or not without the key

kalamykid :

Did the cr star and run before you replaced the column?

Customer:

no

kalamykid :

before the keywas broken that is>?

Customer:

it did, but on a couple of occasions he got the no start issue. the first time i towed it to the shop, left it over night and it started the next day. this time i towed it in and had no signal to starter so i jumped it and realized i had no fuel. i thought we had burned up fuel pump because he said "oh yeah i had like 0 miles left on the gauge" so i figured every time we tried the key the pump was running dry. turns out it was good.

Customer:

Before the fuel pump i changed the column thinking the ignition was bad

kalamykid :

It sounds like the old switch was failing anyway. Most often the old switch will hang up and give you problmes like this and then when you go to start it again the lock is to hard to turn and you end up breaking the key trying to get it to turn.

Customer:

so basically i have the same problems i strated with, just a new fuel pump and a different column

kalamykid :

I woudl lookinto just asking the dealer to deactivate the pats system.

Customer:

that's what i'll do, thank you for the info

kalamykid :

You are very welcome.