Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

My van stalls when I come to a stop. I have allredy replaced

Customer Question

My van stalls when I come to a stop. I have allredy replaced the fuel filter.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Randall replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am Randall/ Can you help with some questions I have?

Does the check engine light come on?

After the stall, does it start right back up?

Run ok otherwise?

Does this happen at every stop?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the check engine light come on right before it stalls. the idle revs up the shuts the motor off. Yes it starts right up. runs fine but it shakes a bit on acceleration. It does not happen at every stop
Expert:  Randall replied 5 years ago.
Was not quite was i was thinking with this added info so.. can you get to a local parts store and get a free code scan so we can have the trouble code set. This really is next step. LMk thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
was at an autozone and they said the check engine light has to be on for them to check for any codes. It was not on and only goes on right before the engine shuts off. Thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 5 years ago.
did they try for codes?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no they just said the check engine light must be on, to check for codes.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 years ago.
That is not true. when a problem is detetced, the compuetr will turn light on even if for a second and set a code. it is reteained as a history code which they can clearly can for

The thing I am confused about is the missing after you start moving again after a stall. I had one though in mind till you mentioned the idle rev and then missing

Its tricky to find this type problem and dont want to guess, thus why i wanted to confirm a code stored or not stored. You only tell them the check engine light has been coming on/off. they can scan it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank I will try another auto parts store with a code reader. I am on a pc so will have to get back to you with the code. will post it later when i return from the auto parts store. thanks for your help Tracer.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 years ago.
I am here each day so pls LMK. We have to start there code or no code then we can move forward. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
o k
Expert:  Randall replied 5 years ago.
thanks