SuperDave
SuperDave, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  over 16 years experience
10552493

2001 mercury sable: fuel pump relay..always work..work fine..my trunk

Customer Question

I have a 2001 mercury sable with 76k miles on it i bought it in 2004 i dont drive it much because I'm an otr truck driver lately I have been having a problem with my fuel pump relay when i come home on the wknds it will almost always work fine but other times it wont and it will not start but then also i tried to push the relay button in my trunk i wish i it can get it working i dont think its the fuel pump because i took it to the shop and they said the fuel pump w/fine
Category: Mercury
Expert:  SuperDave replied 5 years ago.

more than likely once the fuel pump relay gets hot it stop working.those relays are known for this problem.it is located under the hood in the fuse box.here is a diagram of it's location.The button in the truck is the inertia switch.if you are in an accident the impact will shut off the fuel pump

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
would it maybe the wiring because after it wont start for for 15-20 mn it will start up just fine and work fine the rest of the wknd i never had a problem for as long as it sits during the wk
Expert:  SuperDave replied 5 years ago.

I would try a relay first