Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Mercury Senior Master Technician

2008 sable premier: heated..drivers seat..light flashes..warm

when i press the heated seat button for the drivers seat on my 2008 sable premier the light flashes once then goes off and the seat doesn't get warm. Is there any trouble shooting i can do?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question.

The heater elements are known to short. The module sees the excessive current draw and shuts the seat heater down. They can also develop opens in the elements which can also cause the module to shut the heater down due to no current load.The heater elements would need to be disconnected individually and ohm checked to see if one or both are shorted. More than likely it will end up needing both elements replaced. I have replaced many sets of elements on these for the same symptom. One easy way to check for a bad element is to flex the seat cushion/cover back and bottom while attempting to turn on the seat heater. If you can get it to stay on even once then you know that element is bad. The seat covers need to be partially disassembled to access the connectors for the elements to test. To replace the elements the seat needs to be removed and completely disassembled. Let me know how you want to proceed.