Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Gallon..windshield wiper fluid in the radiator reservoir..coolant

I put about 1/2 gallon of windshield wiper fluid in the radiator reservoir. The liquid in the reservoir is still green (color of coolant). I have read that wiper fluid is almost all water and that the other 10% of wiper fluid is actually similar to anti-freeze anyway (?). I have not run the car yet. Would it be okay to run the car for a few days before getting the radiator flushed? I have read some wiper fluids contain an ingredient that could be corrosive to the radiator hoses. Not sure if that is accurate.

It wont hurt anything to run the engine with 1/2gallon of washer fluid in it. It will slightly lower the boiling point and raise the freezing point, but not enough to have any overheating or freezing effect on the engine.

There isnt any ingrediant in auto parts store quality washer fluid that will eat the hoses or do any other damage to them.

your engine is perfectly safe running this amount of washer fluid in it for a few days until you can have it flushed
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks so much!