Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

2001 Mercury Grand Marquis: loud hum..part of the air intake system

I have a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis that has a noise that sounds like a loud hum and mooing sound. I believe it is part of the air intake system. What needs to be done to repair it and what should the cost be. Thank you. Gail Edwards

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Normally this concern is caused by the air passing through the idle air control valve, if elevating the idle speed with the throttle pedal reduces or eliminates the noise then replace the IAC valve which is a 150$ repair bill.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The noise is louder when the throttle is depressed.
Have you opened the hood and listened for the noise and tried to isolate exactly where it is originating from like the air intake tube or the belt driven accessories?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

sorry wrong info on the location of the noise. The noise is coming from under the engine cover. I had to go out and start the engine and it being only the second time under the hood I was mistaken about the location.

Is it any of these shown below

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No and I have been driving it around for 15 minutes now and I can't get it to make the noise. I am accepting your advice. Have a blessed day.

Thanks for the accept, however we still have some diag to do, just reply at any time once you can better pinpoint it, on this post and I will respond back.