Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Mercury Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Mercury Diagnostics

2002 mercury mountaineer: clicking noise..key...interior lights come

Customer Question

2002 mercury mountaineer will not start...makes clicking noise when i turn the key...interior lights come on when i open the door
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

When you turn the key, is it a rapid clicking noise, or a 1-click per key turn?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

rapid clicking

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.
Ok. Rapid clicking is the sign of a battery that has less than 12v or bad connections. The inertior lights come on becasue they only need 9 volts to operate. The starter needs a full 12v (optimally, 12.4v). If the jump is not working, check the battery terminals. Make sure they are tight and free of corrosion. If this checks good, it's very possible that there is a "dead cell" in the battery which is stopping it from taking any kind of charge, and keeping it below 12v.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what is the easiest way to clean the posts?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.

Believe it or not- baking soda and water, and a toothbrush!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
one more question. i forgot to mention that i was able to start it a few times with some hesitation 2 days ago, but now it will not start at all. still probably a battery issue?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.

Yep. Sounds even more like a battery issue. Sounds like it was "on its way out" 2 days ago, and has finally given up. Without putting a meter on it, i'd guess dead cell in the battery. After the battery replacement, might be a good idea to have the alternator checked to make sure that is not the root of the battery draining. Most local parts stores do this for Free in the parking lot, if you don't have access to a volt meter.