Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Mercury Monterey: a liftgate handle back on that popped off..bolts

We are trying to put a liftgate handle back on that popped off. Mercury Monterey 2004 part 320101 is mostly removed and viewing the liftgate from the rear, the bottom left corner is hung up and we are afraid of breaking this part to get to the handle area. We have removed all screws and bolts.

The real question is how do reinstall the handle, that popped off and it still appears intact. We feel the liftgate must come off and then the door latches need to get out of the way to push the handle back in place. If riveting or special parts are needed, we are finished.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Look over the below Ford directions with images and see if thats all you needed or if additional explanation is needed to help get this handle replaced.

Download handle R/R

Download license plate housing R/R

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We are trying to replace the external handle that opens the liftgate. Don't see how to get the interior liftgate part 320101 off, if that is needed. need more details to reinstall the handle, that appears intact. Does this make sense to you?

Sorry I forgot to upload the trim removal.

Download trim R/R

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Still don't see what is holding up removing the liftgate panel in the bottom left corner - or viewing from inside the car looking at the liftgate - it would be the bottom right corner of the liftgate panel 320101(opposite side to the internal handle), and is this needed to be removed to reinstall the external handle? The external handle reinstall is our goal.

Many thanks
The interior trim has to come off and to remove the interior trim the liftgate has to be open. There are 2 screws on the interior grab handle which have to be removed and 2 more screws in the middle and driver side to remove to allow trim removal to get the license plate housing off then the exterior handle.