Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance
17659378

1998 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER: CAB & RELEASE IN FRONT UNDER THE HOOD

GOOD MORNING, MY 1998 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER, I CAN NOT GET THE HOOD OPEN,I HAVE PULLED RELEASE IN CAB & RELEASE IN FRONT UNDER THE HOOD. ANY IDEAS? THANK YOU. KEITH.

Chuck :

Keith: you can take a pair of needle nose pliers(long handle) and reach thru the grille opening and pull the cable,if the cable is not broken right at the latch handle it should open.What happens most of the time is the cable housing comes loose from the holder at the latch.Here is a pic of this,I have circled in red where the cable housing hooks to the latch.If it has come loose there you can either pullon the cable housing or you may be able to hook it back up .