Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance
17659378

mercury Grand Marquis LS my ac blower motor has stopped working.

my ac blower motor has stopped working. There is power to the wire harness and it draws more amps as you increase blower speed manually. could it be the resister? I would not want to pull it if that is not the culprit. big job. I PURCHASED A NEW MOTOR AND IT DOES NOT WORK EITHER.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chuck replied 5 years ago.

Chuck :

What type system do you have is it electronic temp control or manual?

Customer:

I believe it is electronic. It has the automatic feature.

Chuck :

Is it digital or does it have knobs on the control head?

Customer:

It is digital

Chuck :

Ok your problem is going to be the blower speed controller.You can confirm this by grounding the orange and red wire at the blower motor,if it works then your problem is the controller.

Customer:

Do't know if I can distinguish the color of wire since they are ecased in the harness. How would I ground them?

Chuck :

You can just take a jumper wire and hook it to a good metal ground under the dash and then on the connector at the blower motor you should have a pink/white wire which is powe and the orange/red wire which goes to the blower speed controller. Or you can go under hood and disconnect the blower speed controller and then ground the orange/red wire there.

Chuck :

Do you have power to the motor?

Customer:

I have already remove the old motor. neither the old motor nor the new one work, but on a voltage meter, it draws more amps as I manually change the blower settings at the dash. Where is the speed controller located?

Chuck :

Here is a link to the shop manual on replacing the controller http://www.mediafire.com/?51cq78ecfaea9aa

Customer:

Thanks

Chuck :

Here is a copy of the wiring schematic also to help

Chuck :

The controller is under the hood on the passenger side in the side of the heater housing next to the heater hoses if the pic is not clear to you.

Chuck :

You will want to let it cool off for awhile before messing with it

Chuck :

gets pretty hot there at the hoses and also the back of the motor

Customer:

thanks for your help. I,ll give it a try.

Chuck :

sound good