Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance
17659378

2004 Mercury monterey: Van..cylinder..the mech said intake manifold

2004 Mercury Montery Van. The computer code read that the #3 cylinder is misfiring and the mech said intake manifold had to be removed to fix it. Is this true, and if so, approx how much should this cost? Codes are PO316 and PO303
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chuck replied 3 years ago.

Chuck :

On the rear 3 cylinders which are no.1,2, and 3 the upper intake manifold covers the spark plugs so that you can not access them withput removing the upper intake manifold. The cost for this repair would run about $450 and I would recommend replacing the other spark plugs there while doing this.

Customer:

the diagnostic code also gave us a code of B1288. Maybe oxygen sensor? I don't know, I'm just suggestimg.

Chuck :

Never heard of a B1288 code and that code is not listed in the Ford shop manual

Customer:

What about B01288 or P01288

Chuck :

P1288 - Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT) Sensor Circuit Out of Self-Test Range

Chuck :

Had they warmed the engine up before testing?

Customer:

No. It wasn't that hot before they tested it. We drove it 10 minutes before the diagnosit and left it idling for 10 minutes in the parking lot at the Adavanced Auto before they ran the diagnostic.

Chuck :

It should have been warm enough by then. Wondering if maybe it is unplugged? Is temp gage reading normal?

Chuck :

See this engine uses a CHT sensor which doesn't measure coolant temp but measures metal temp

Customer:

Yes, temp gage is reading normal. Could the misfire cause this?

Chuck :

No I would say for that code I would restest and see if it repeats.I would run engine at about 1800 to 2000 RPM for about 1 to 2 minutes then retest and see if it repeats.

Chuck :

The miss fire would not effect this at all

Customer:

OK. Is this something serious that we need to worry about?

Customer:

Just waiting on your answer. I am ready to "accept" as you have given us good information.

Chuck :

If you are not getting any other P128X or P129X codes I would not worry about the P1288 unless you see the cooling fan running on high all the time.Then I would worry about it. See if the PCM see's a fault on the CHT and it can not read it,it will put the cooling fan to high speed to try compensate for an overheating concern.

Customer:

Thanks Chuck.

Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 33 Years experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance